Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A DIY project for your home that's easy and CHEAP!


Greetings everyone!

I don't know about where you live but in Portland FALL IS IN THE AIR! It's almost 90 degrees today BUT there's a breeze and Autumn is UPON US!

The fall always makes we want to get my house in order and for me that means (ok cleaning but that's not fun)......I'd rather decorate, re-decorate, garage sale for treasures and transform what I buy!

I thought it might be fun to show you some of the projects I've done over the years! I will try and show you before and after pics...don't you just LOVE BEFORE AND AFTER picture?!?!? I DO!

A few months ago I was looking for a painting to go in a large area up high above my entryway. I started looking at galleries but quickly resorted to Target after I saw the prices! The cheapest thing I could find at Target...remember it's LARGE...was 150.00. I just won't spend that much on art! If I see something I want and there's NO WAY for me to re-create it, I might buy it BUT if there's any way of re-creating it I WILL FIND IT!

After I'd see some large canvas paintings I thought I might paint my own. After I saw how much large canvases cost at the art store or even Michaels I changed my mind. That's when I happened upon an large UGLY canvas that was covered with some fabric with a huge bright horse on it AT A GARAGE SALE! I have nothing against horses but this was UG-LY!! I purchased the canvas for 2.00 and went to Ikea for some unusual fabric.

I found this...and love it! I purchased it at IKEA....It was 6.99 a yard and I think I only bought 1 1/2 yards. Using a staple gun I stapled in the the back of the canvas (the wood) and didn't even bother taking off the horse fabric!

It's better to purchase a large print because you don't notice the repeat as much and it looks more like art than a piece of fabric stapled onto a canvas!

I SO WISH I had a before picture but here is the after pictures. Not bad for 12.50 HUH?!?!?!?




Now I regularly purchase any nice canvases I see at garage sales etc. You can always

PAINT OVER THEM!

STAPLE FABRIC OVER THEM!

OR

Cover them with paper and COLLAGE COLLAGE COLLAGE!



MORE tomorrow! (I will show you how I made some FABULOUS art for my entryway for NOTHING....NOT ONE PENNY!)


Love Violette

No comments: